Residency and Residency through Work Permit Requirements

Residency / Residency through Work Permit Requirements

The first step in obtaining Permanent Visa status for Jamaica and eventually a Jamaican travel document is to establish residency either through Visa / Work Permit Application or Registration.

Residency Requirements

To reside in Jamaica each person should submit the following documents and particulars:

  • A Valid National Passport;
  • Evidence of financial status and means of support – e.g. particulars of pension, bank account, property owned or business investments;
  • Certified Copy of  Birth Certificate;
  • Marital status – Marriage Certificate, particulars of spouse, children and other dependents;
  • Medical Certificate of good health;
  • Police Certificate from the state from which you are migrating;
  • Two (2) Passport size photographs;
  • Reasons for seeking permanent residence in Jamaica;
  • Names and addresses of two reputable references or acquaintances.

All applications are referred to Jamaica for approval which can take from 6 to 8 months.

Residency through Work Permit

Persons applying for residency who will require employment to maintain themselves in Jamaica must also apply for a Work Permit. On approval of the Work Permit which is usually based on a job offer, a visa is automatically granted.

Commonwealth citizens are allowed to enter Jamaica without visas and not required to have a Work Permit, although it is advisable that they apply for a Permit prior to arrival, where employment will be sought.

Permanent Residents are still required to be in possession of a valid permit issued by the Ministry of Labour, if they are engaged in gainful employment. However, they need not seek any further extension of stay, but must obtain a multiple reentry visa from the Immigration Officer prior to any overseas travel. All aliens over sixteen (16) years of age who expect to live in Jamaica for over six (6) months are required to register as aliens at a fee of J$1,000.00. Permanent Resident Status may be withdrawn if it becomes necessary, at the discretion of the Minister.

Please note: The granting of permanent residency does not automatically convey the right to work. A work permit is still required.

Approval is given by:
Ministry of National Security
NCB North Tower
2 Oxford Road, Kingston 5, Jamaica
Tel: (876) 906-4908
Fax: (876) 754-3601