Citizenship by Naturalization
A person may be granted naturalization after a minimum period of five (5) years residency in Jamaica on application following his/her residency through either Visa or Work Permit application.
Required documents are:
- A Certified copy of Birth Certificate
- The Passport used to enter Jamaica
- A Current Passport if different
- A Work Permit or Exemption Certificate
- Evidence of involvement in any community activities
- Two (2) Passport size photographs
A Jamaican Passport or Travel Document may be issued on application to a non – Jamaican only after the person has obtained a Certificate of Registration or Naturalization from the appropriate authorities in Jamaica.
Citizenship by Marriage
The following documents are required:
- A Certified copy of Birth Certificate and Passport of the Jamaican National
- A Certified copy of Birth Certificate and Passport of the applicant (spouse)
- A Certified copy of Marriage Certificate
- Recent (at most 6 months old) Police Record of the Applicant
- Two (2) Passport sized photographs of the Applicant
- A Completed Application R1 Form in duplicates ( obtainable at the Consulate)
- A Letter to the Minister of National Security and Justice requesting registration as a Citizen of Jamaica.
A Fee of US$260.00 or JMD$ equivalent to be submitted in the form of international money order addressed to the following:
25c Constant Spring Road
Kingston 10, Jamaica
Telephone: (876) 754-7422
Facsimile: (876) 906-4372
Processing period for Citizenship by Marriage Applications (provided that application fulfills all requirements AFTER being transmitted to the Passport, Immigration & Citizenship Agency (PICA) in Jamaica):
Twenty-four (24) months
In the case of Citizenship by Descent and Citizenship by Marriage, applicants may apply for their passports through the Consulate AFTER receiving their Certificates of Citizenship.